plausibly deniable

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Jul 22 22:26:45 CEST 2010

On 7/22/2010 4:19 PM, Andre Amorim wrote:
> Do we have a "plausibly deniable" option ?

No.  Plausible deniability depends entirely on what your adversary finds
plausible.  "I didn't sign that!  Look -- I have Thunderbird configured
to automatically sign *everything*, and I have no passphrase on my key.
 Someone got access to my system and sent out a message that got
automagically signed by my key!"

Such things have happened before.  Werner himself has received
PGP-signed spam, from some hapless person whose machine had been
hijacked and was being used as a botnet to send messages through a PGP
signing proxy.  Some people will find this explanation plausible.
Others will merely find it convenient.

Since there is no agreed-upon definition of plausible deniability, GnuPG
cannot be said to provide plausible deniability.