GPG seems broken on FC13 after upgrade.

Perry, James J. jjperry at water.com
Wed Jul 21 16:53:43 CEST 2010

> I just updated to FC 13 and not gpg fails to work for any user.  I get
the following messages when I try to decrypt a file and have the DISPLAY
set even though I am not using X.

> gpg --pgp6 EDI997.20100601091546.pgp
>
> You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
> user: "xyz"
> 2048-bit ELG key, ID ...
>
> can't connect to `/root/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': No such file or directory
> gpg-agent[24444]: command get_passphrase failed: Operation cancelled
> gpg: cancelled by user
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG key, ID ...
> gpg: public key decryption failed: General error
> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

[..]

>> This was not how it worked when I used it prior to upgrading to FC13.
I >>do not want all the pretty stuff and I need it to prompt for a
password on >>the command line like it did prior to the used of
pinentry-qt or pinentry->>curses.  What do I need to fix?  I spent 4
hours digging around to just >>find that if I had a DISPLAY variable set
but no X-Server running on my MS >>Win box, it would not even work.
Users of GPG here on Linux will not >>understand that issue so I will
need to keep it running as it did before, >>but no manuals I found
seemed to indicate how to correct it.

>Fedora 13 made a (in my opinion) bad change in how they handle GnuPG.
>Previously, there were two packages: 'gnupg' and 'gnupg2'.  This makes
>sense since the two branches of GnuPG are intentionally
non-conflicting, >and while there is significant overlap, do serve
somewhat different >purposes.

>Fedora 13 removed 'gnupg' (i.e. gnupg 1.4.x) and caused the 'gnupg2'
(i.e. >gnupg 2.x) package to replace it.  This breaks all sorts of
scripts and >things that were written to use 1.4.x.

>A few people are trying to get this fixed in Fedora.
>  http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-July/138765.html
>  http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-July/138781.html

>David

Thanks for the links.  If Fedora does not make the needed changes it
would seem that the gnupg2 code would at least need to be altered to
check for a working X display first, and then try curses.  Optimally I
think it would be nice to have a config parameter in the
/etc/gnupg/gpgconfig file to specify the interface type be it X, curses
or command line.  I did not see any settings to control that when I dug
through the configs and man pages months ago.