Keyserver spam example

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Jun 10 18:42:13 CEST 2010

On -10/01/37 20:59, Joke de Buhr wrote:
> You do not sacrifice legitimate incoming mail because there is an RFC that
> clearly states mailservers do not operate from dynamic IP addresses. Therefore
> they can not be considered valid.

Which RFC would this be?

I could not find the word "dynamic" in RFC 2822 (proposed standard) or RFC 5322
(draft standard, obsoletes 2822). The most basic mailserver, AFAIK, only has to
comply to this standard to be acceptable as a mailserver operating in the real
world.

A Google search also did not help finding this standard.

It also begs the question how to define "a dynamic IP" in a manner worthy of an
RFC wanting to be a standard, which was one of the reasons I wanted to find the
RFC you mention.

Meanwhile, in the real world, people do not always comply to all RFC's. If you
define "legitimate mail" as "mail you'd like to receive" or "not spam" or
something similar, you will lose legitimate mail.

These days my mail server is on a static IP (on a consumer connection). With a
previous ISP, this was not possible, and my mail server had a dynamic IP. I
happily sent legitimate mail to my contacts from it.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt
(new, larger key created on Nov 12, 2009)