Keyserver spam example

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 12 12:59:41 CEST 2010

MFPA wrote:

>> The Spamhaus PBL might very well list you.
>
>> 76.185.38.113 is listed in the PBL
>
>> Mailservers using this blocklist would probably block mail from
>> you.
>
> Of course, even Spamhaus's own website says the PBL is not a
> blacklist and that you can remove your IP address from their list if
> you are running a "legitimate" mail server, but only if it's a static
> Ip address. They provide no definition (that I can find) of what
> constitutes a "legitimate" mail server
>
>> Obtaining a static IP is easily done so I don't know why someone
>> would want to risk using a dynamic IP.

My current ISP (Verizon) wants US$100/month more for a static IP address
than for a dynamic one. In addition, I am not permitted to use my own
MTA (in my case, sendmail) unless I have a commercial account instead of
a home owner's account.

> Most ISPs I have seen charge considerably more for a static IP
> address; generally, commercial prices rather than home-user or
> small-business prices. Unless you have relatively high bandwidth
> requirements there is no point. It is *definitely* not worth the
> expense just just to avoid an occasional over-zealous mailserver
> admin spuriously binning one of your perfectly valid email messages.
> Even if you are hosting a website or an incoming mail server, there
> are plenty of dynamic DNS services available for many times less cost
> than having a static IP address.

My sister lives in France. I believe her ISP is the French Post Office.
While I can receive e-mail from her, she cannot receive e-mail from me,
even though I use Verizon as my ISP. My home has a dynamic IP address,
but I assume Verizon have static IP addresses. We have worked on this
for several years, but I cannot send to that sister.

I have another sister in Canada. She has no trouble sending e-mail to
her sister in France.

Someone in France does seem to be blocking Verizon. At least, they are
blocking me, and I cannot imagine it is just me.

>> In any case, a very large percentage of SPAM originates from
>> dynamic IPs, which is why I routinely block them.
>
> A large percentage of spam originates from the USA. It would be just
> as rational to block mail from all IP addresses that are listed as
> being there. (-;

Maybe France is blocking all of USA, or all of Verizon.

  ^^-^^ 06:50:01 up 36 days, 14:45, 3 users, load average: 5.01, 4.73, 4.49