Fwd: [Full-disclosure] Introducing TGP...

M.B.Jr. marcio.barbado at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 00:20:37 CEST 2010

Hello,
there's this guy, named Timothy Mullen who recently released this TGP
(Thor’s Godly Privacy) encryption utility for the cloud.

Timothy wrote (note that his complete text goes forwarded below):

"... I designed TGP with “encryption for the cloud” in mind.  That
means that not only does TGP do everything your normal PGP-type
applications do, but it does things a bit differently – differently in
a way that can change the way you work with your encrypted data.  At
the simplest level, this is done by encrypting data into byte arrays,
and then converting those byte arrays into Base64 encoded text wrapped
inside XML tags.  In this way, not only do you get your typical
file-based encrypted representation of your data, but you also get
data that you can copy and paste directly into any email, mailing
list, blog-page, or social networking site..."

Have anyone tested it so far? How different can this XML wrapped byte
array encryption be? Is this cloud oriented difference only about its
XML capabilities?

He continues:

"... What I think is interesting about this is that if we choose to,
we no longer have to be the custodians of our encrypted data – we
don’t have to worry about actually housing the files: we can just post
them to the internet and let someone else assume the burden of storing
the files for us... I can do the same with my keys..."

Is this crazy stuff?

Maybe I'm the one who's getting crazy (and old) for not accepting this
so called "cloud" trendy paradigm driven by "megacorporations" but
that seems weird to me even if I think of combining this guy's
proposal with, say, that Diceware methodology.

Comments are really welcome.

Thank you, regards,