Using the "clean" function (and the "PGP Global Directory")

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Jun 23 05:44:10 CEST 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, David Shaw wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 11:02 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>
>> It seems there's two interesting problems which inter-relate.
>>
>> The first is PGP corporation's "global directory", which seems to
>> operate orthogonally from every other keyserver I've seen.  It's
>> HTTP-only, not queryable by any of the open-source clients (in fact, it
>> doesn't support wildcard searches at all, and returns a captcha before
>> delivering results), and not SUBMITTABLE to from any of the open source
>> clients.
>
> Not exactly.  The GD speaks LDAP, so you can set your keyserver to
> ldap://keyserver.pgp.com and you can query and submit, etc.

Interesting, I didn't see mention of that.  I must try this (assuming I've
built with LDAP support, that is, which under BSD is a bit obtuse).

>> It's also the ONLY keyserver I've seen that supports photo IDs, and actually uses the web interface to show you the person.
>
> The SKS servers (i.e. pretty much everything that isn't the GD) do
> support photo IDs, but they do not use the web interface to show you the
> photo.

That was what I meant to imply, perhaps I was unclear.

> Are you sure about that?  "clean" strips off useless signatures (useless
> being defined as an invalid signature, a superseded signature, a revoked
> signature, and a signature from a key that isn't present on the
> keyring).  Signatures from keys that are present, but have no trust
> value are not stripped off.

Let me double check.  I saw it earlier today when transferring my work sig
to my personal one.  But it might just have been that my coworkers did not
have sigs present.  It's entirely possible I mangled the windows.

-Dan

--

"GO HOME AND COOK!!!"

Donielle Cocossa, Taco Bell, 2:30 AM