"No-Keyserver" (and other) flags on keys

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Jun 27 22:27:21 CEST 2010

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, David Shaw wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> How difficult would it be to propose some kind of extension flag to the PGP key format that in essence says "don't publish me to a keyserver". Note that I'm asking from a technical point of view, not a social (i.e. making servers support it) or IETF one (insert bikesheds here).
>>
>> My question is: Is it possible to do in such a way that keys would be backward-compatible?
>
> Not only is it possible, it already exists.  GnuPG can even set it and unset it, as you like.

Really?  Where is it?

Also, is it possible for either the manpage or the interactive help to
include the meaning of the various preferences that are not cipher types?

> It's effectively a no-op though, as no server supports it.

I'm looking into making mods to at least one server type (we run one
locally at work), and commit them upstream.  If I'm going to wade into
that muck, I might as well have multiple things to try to make work.

The change in the key file format is the "hard" part :)

-Dan

--

"She's been getting attacked by these leeches, they're leaving these marks
all over her neck. You gotta keep her out of those woods.  If one more

-Someone's Mother, December 18th, 1998