Using gpg2 without pinentry?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jun 28 21:35:33 CEST 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Nicholas Cole wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin
> <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote:
>
>> Is there some reasonable way that gpg can detect that it has a controlling
>> termainal (or even, a config file option) and just ask me for my passphrase
>> on stdin?
>
> Can you start gpg-agent separately - ie. before the passphrase is
> needed.  If so, you should be fine, I think, if I have understood your
> problem correctly.

That's not the issue. To simplify the problem somewhat, I'm on a windows
box. I ssh to my Unix system at home. My .bashrc sets up gpg-agent for
me. Now I want to sign something. The usual answer here is
"pinentry-curses to the rescue." But let's assume that pinentry-curses
is not an option. Now how do I enter my passphrase?

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso