On the fly encryption of files possible?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jun 29 19:30:54 CEST 2010

On 6/29/2010 1:25 PM, Dirk Walter wrote:
> That depends on the source of the files, if you have eg a java app
> that is generating the files it would be trivial to pipe it through
> gpg, similarly if it is done through an ftp server or something it is
> also trivial.

That is not the use case I read in the original poster's message.  He
called for "on-the-fly encrypt"ion of files that "are to be saved into a
distinct folder with a public key".

Could you hack together a userspace app that served as a drag-and-drop
target and copied those files in encrypted form to a specified
destination directory?  Sure, I guess -- so long as you don't mind your
application not integrating with anything other than drag and drop.
Given it sounds like the use case is, "I want to be able to save my Word
document like normal, except that if I save it into this particular
folder, it should be encrypted before writing to disk," I think my
original remarks are correct.