Offline Primary Key

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 1 18:20:06 CET 2010

I would like to keep the private portion of my primary key stored
offline and use an expiring secondary key for day to day signing.  To
accomplish this I have tried backing up the key after creating the
secondary signing key, then attempting to delete the private portion of
the primary key from the key ring, but even when I explicitly specify
the primary key ID to delete with --delete-primary-keys, the secondary
private key is also removed.

How can I remove ONLY the private part of the primary key, and not the
secondary key(s)?