key question

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Mar 3 19:52:17 CET 2010

On 3/3/2010 1:44 PM, MFPA wrote:
>> I feel there is a strong assumption among OpenPGP users that our
>> community is, *ahem*, open.
>
> Is it not also a reasonable assumption, that those who use and promote
> privacy-enhancing software will value and respect privacy?

It is not reasonable that their definition of privacy will overlap with
yours, no.  I don't get to define what "privacy" means for anyone other
than me.  You don't get to define what "privacy" means for anyone other
than you.

Since there is no shared definition of privacy, there can be no
reasonable assumption that people who use and promote what *you define
to be* privacy-enhancing software will value and respect privacy
*according to your definition*.