OpenPGPCard Max PIN length changes?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sat Mar 6 13:12:51 CET 2010

On Sat,  6 Mar 2010 03:59, talmage at orange.zero.jp said:

> Is this not the case with the newer v2.0 cards?  My v2.0 card shows Max.
> PIN lengths .: 32 32 32.

Depends on the implementation - for those from ZeitControl this is
correct.  Even the old standard says that the card announces the maximum
length.

> Is this a setting that can be changed?  I didn't see anything in

No.

> If in fact there was a change from v1.1/254 to v2.0/32, is there a
> reason for this change?
> Anyway to use longer PINs on the v2.0 cards?

What is your threat model that you need more than 32 bytes for a PIN?
Only a few humans are able to remember such a long string and enter it
within 3 tries.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner