how to suppress warning about gpg-agent?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Mar 8 13:06:06 CET 2010

On Mon,  8 Mar 2010 01:43, powerman at powerman.name said:

> I've a lot of projects (each has separate user account) which use gpg for
> encrypting daily backups (from cron) in this way:
>
>   gpg --batch --cipher-algo AES256 -c --passphrase-file PASSFILE BACKUP.tar

FWIW, You should use public key encryption instead of symmetric only
encryption.  This makes everything much easier.

> I don't like to run gpg-agent as a daemon on all these user accounts just
> to suppress this warning message (and there may be additional issues to
> make it accessible from cron scripts, too).

A littel warning: gpg-agent is is a cornerstone of GnuPG-2.  You can't
do much without it.  Today gpg2 might be usable without a running
gpg-agent but with the current branch this will change: All secret key
operations are then diverted to the agent.

In your case the agent is required to return the S2K count.  This values
is computed only once because it takes some time can can't be done for
each invcation.  To avoid this you may try option "--s2k-count N".  You
can get a suitable value for N on your machine by running the command

  gpg-connect-agent 'getinfo s2k_count' /bye

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner