Question about passphrase-fd

Matt Burkhardt mlb at imparisystems.com
Fri Mar 12 01:40:36 CET 2010

Long story short, I use amanda for my backups and I've been using
encryptsimple for my backups.  My PC died completely, and I'm trying to
get the backups onto another machine.  I've stepped through the programs
and have found that it's calling gpg with

gpg --batch --quiet --no-mdc-warning --decrypt --passphrase-fd 3
3</var/lib/amanda/.am_passphrase

I was under the impression that the passphrase (.am_passphrase) was just
a clear text secret phrase.  However, the gpg call errors out with:

gpg: decryption failed: bad key

When I set this up, I used the EXACT SAME passphrase on every machine.
I've gone back and check to make sure - might be missing or included a
line feed in the file - does that matter?  Any ideas or am I completely
out of luck?

Thanks

Matt Burkhardt
Impari Systems, Inc.

Customer Relationship Management Systems
We help you find and keep your best customers
mlb at imparisystems.com
http://www.imparisystems.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mlburkhardt
502 Fairview Avenue