Question about passphrase-fd

Matt Burkhardt mlb at imparisystems.com
Fri Mar 12 11:27:45 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 21:36 -0500, David Shaw wrote:

> > Long story short, I use amanda for my backups and I've been using
> encryptsimple for my backups.  My PC died completely, and I'm trying
> to get the backups onto another machine.  I've stepped through the
> programs and have found that it's calling gpg with
> >
> > gpg --batch --quiet --no-mdc-warning --decrypt --passphrase-fd 3
> 3</var/lib/amanda/.am_passphrase
> >
> > I was under the impression that the passphrase (.am_passphrase) was
> just a clear text secret phrase.  However, the gpg call errors out
> with:
> >
> > gpg: decryption failed: bad key
>
> The "bad key" error doesn't mean the passphrase is wrong (that would
> be "invalid passphrase").  It often means that the file you are
> decrypting is corrupt.  Was the file you are decrypting encrypted with
> a passphrase only or with a public key?

Here's the code that calls gpg for the encryption:

gpg --batch --no-secmem-warning --disable-mdc --symmetric --cipher-algo AES256 --passphrase-fd 3  3</var/lib/amanda/.am_passphrase

According to the man pages, it says not to use the --cipher-algo but
doesn't mention if that's needed in order to decrypt the files.  Would
that have to happen?

Thanks!

Matt Burkhardt
Impari Systems, Inc.

Customer Relationship Management Systems
We help you find and keep your best customers
mlb at imparisystems.com
http://www.imparisystems.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mlburkhardt
502 Fairview Avenue