Pass phrase help

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Fri Mar 12 22:27:54 CET 2010

On 3/11/2010 12:36 AM, Clayton.A.Eggie at jci.com wrote:

> I misplaced my PINENTRY passphrase. Is there some way to recover it or
> will I need to remove GNU and start anew? I need to decrypt a document
> from a vendor that has my public key. This is what I'm looking at:

Unfortunately, you're screwed...

If you generated a revocation certificate, you can send that out so that
people know the key is bad.  Here's one quick article that explains the
process:

http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/faqs.en.html#q4.17

If you want/need to continue using encryption, you'll need to generate a
new private key.  You don't need to reinstall gnupg.  You can just
choose "Keys -> New Key" from the GNU Privacy Assistant.

You'll then either need to send the new key to the vendor or to the
keyservers, and have people use that one.