updprefs command and changing key

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Mar 13 13:43:24 CET 2010

On Mar 13, 2010, at 1:13 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

>> There is no way other than that.  3DES is a required part of OpenPGP, so if you remove it, you're not going to play well with the other programs out there.
>
> --cipher-algo [something other than 3DES] won't do it?  Faramir was asking only about disabling it when encrypting: I was under the impression --cipher-algo could be used to do that.

We were discussing this in the context of the cipher preferences system (Subject "updprefs command and changing key").  You cannot remove 3DES from the preferences, even with disable-cipher-algo.  You can positively force any cipher algo you like via cipher-algo (rather than by removing one from the available list), but cipher-algo disables preferences altogether (with the usual shoot-yourself-in-the-foot ability that grants you).

David