Using the OTR plugin with Pidgin for verifying GPG public key fingerprints

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 18:12:05 CET 2010

Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> But all that aside, I'm pretty sure news reports, etc. of human
>> traffickers, smugglers, spies, etc. all confirm the fact that
>> national IDs such as passports can be forged and do in fact slip by
>> immigration authorities pretty commonly.
>
> Only because the news doesn't report on people who get arrested based
> on false identity documents.  By the very nature of journalism, it
> pays more attention to the extreme and the unusual than it does the
> mundane and humdrum.  If a madman shoots 14 people in a shopping mall
> in Oconomowoc, that's news: if 1,400 people die of cancer nationwide
> that day, it doesn't even get a mention.  Following the news would
> lead you to thinking you needed to buy body armor, not that you could
> stand to lose a few pounds and you should stop smoking.

A larger example is that if some madmen flew aircraft into the World
Trade Center killing 3000 or so people, that gets a lot of news and a
Department of Homeland Security set up, but if we kill 10 times that
every year in automobile accidents, do we get highways redesigned,
automobiles redesigned, driving tests improved, etc.?

> Be careful about forming your opinions of normalcy from watching news
> reports.

  ^^-^^ 12:05:01 up 52 days, 13:25, 4 users, load average: 4.36, 4.36, 4.64