Generating a new key

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sun Mar 21 03:15:37 CET 2010

On 3/20/2010 9:09 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> Here are my choices for the various options, I'm curious if anyone sees
> anything glaringly horrible about them. :)

ObAdvice: it's probably best to stick with the defaults unless you've
got clear needs the defaults don't meet.  Or, if you just like to tinker
around with things.  You don't need to tinker with settings in order to
make GnuPG work well.  All that said:

> Here is where I differ from the defaults. I understand the argument
> about a 1,000 meter wall vs. a 100,000 meter wall, however the larger
> key doesn't make any appreciable difference to the encrypted file size,
> and I like the idea of having an encryption key large enough that I
> don't have to worry about things staying encrypted for the foreseeable
> future.

Large keys like this may give you some headaches down the road.
Increasingly, we're moving to a handheld culture: whether a BlackBerry,
an iPhone or an Android, the cell phone is becoming increasingly
important as an electronic communications tool.

It's reasonable to think that in the next five years OpenPGP will come
to cell phones in one way or another.  If so, you will discover that 4k
encryption keys are painfully slow on handheld devices.