Signature algorithms

Joke de Buhr joke at seiken.de
Thu May 6 23:49:04 CEST 2010

I was wondering how gnupg chooses a digest algorithm.

I used setpref to configure my gpg key to accept sha512,sha384,... digest
algorithms and set gnupg's option "personal-digest-preferences" to prefer
sha512,sha384,... hashes. If I sign something and specify myself as recipient
gpg2 in verbose mode reports it uses the ripemd160 algorithm.

As far as I understand the manpage gpg2 should choose sha512 not ripemd160.
Does a smartcard affect the choosen algorithm. I recently started using the
"crypto stick" smartcard which should be a openpgp card v2.

Thanks
Joke