Cannot validate Truecrypt signature using GNU Privacy Assistant

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Nov 10 19:59:07 CET 2010

On 11/10/2010 05:57, Tony Hamilton wrote:

> Using the command<gpg --verify truecrypt-7.0a-linux-x86.tar.gz.sig>
> results in the error messages "gpg: no signed data" and "gpg: can't hash
> datafile: file open error"
>
> Using the comand<gpg
> --verify /Downloads/truecrypt-7.0a-linux-x86.tar.gz.sig>  results in the
> error messages "gpg: can't open
> `/Downloads/truecrypt-7.0a-linux-x86.tar.gz.sig'" and "gpg: verify
> signatures failed: file open error"
>

> What am I doing wrong?

For the first error you're not in the directory where the files are. For
the second you gave a path that doesn't exist. I assume that you've
actually downloaded both a source tarball (filename.tar.gz) and its
associated signature (filename.tar.gz.sig). Open up a terminal, and use
the command 'ls' (no quotes). You should see something like this
(perhaps with other files and directories listed as well):

truecrypt-7.0a-linux-x64.tar.gz  truecrypt-7.0a-linux-x64.tar.gz.sig

If you don't see truecrypt related files, you're probably in your home
directory, and the files were downloaded to Downloads, so do this: cd
Downloads

Now do ls again, and you should see the files. Now you can do: gpg
--verify filename.tar.gz.sig and it should work.

Good luck,

Doug

			-- OK Go