gpg --verify detached signature from two file descriptors?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Nov 12 06:15:28 CET 2010

Hi Robert--

On 11/11/2010 11:44 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 11:19 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> i'd like to use gpg to verify a detached signature, but for various
>> reasons i don't want to put either part (the body or the signature) in
>> the filesystem (i have the data queued in two otherwise anonymous file
>> descriptors).
>
> This may be more hammer for your task than you really need, but I would
> consider making a memory-mapped file object.  Read the data from the two
> anonymous FDs, concat them into the memory-mapped file object, and pipe
> those contents to GnuPG.

i don't think this solves the problem i'm looking to solve, but i might
be misunderstanding.

i'm hoping to use a detached signature precisely because i do *not* want
gnupg to have to find the delimiters between the data and the signature
-- i already have that information available.  So it seems to me that
concatenating the material and feeding it in a single stream means
making gpg do unnecessary work (not to mention potentially falling prey
to any potential bugs in gpg's code that determines the boundaries
between data and signatures).

Or am i misunderstanding your suggestion?

	--dkg