FW: Import .p12 key file

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Nov 17 08:48:52 CET 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:55, l_elcocks at hotmail.co.uk said:
> if i import a p12 key file into a trial version of PGP and then export the key back out (including the private key) i can then import the key into GPG. PGP exports the key as a .ASC file.

I don't know for sure but an educated guess is: PGP has a feature to
include X.509 keys into a standard OpenPGP key.  It might be that PGP
creates a standard OpenPGP key from the pkcs#12 file (which usually
means an X.509 key) and also includes the X.509 key into that new
OpenPGP key.  Hal Finney once sent out a description of this private
PGP extension.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner