GPG on Windows 7?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Nov 17 20:18:38 CET 2010

On 11/17/2010 12:26 PM, Jerry wrote:
> A simple Google: "in-line PGP deprecated" will turn up numerous hits.

The authoritative sources on the deprecation of inline OpenPGP would be
the IETF working group for OpenPGP, and/or the authors of RFC4880.  To
the best of my knowledge neither group has made any statement about this
deprecation: therefore, if you want to claim it is deprecated, you will
need to present statements from either group stating such.

Just because some people on mailing lists that Google crawls say inline
OpenPGP is deprecated doesn't make it so -- any moreso than the fact
9/11 truther mailing lists get crawled by Google mean 9/11 was an inside
job.

> If I were to use an antiquated version of GnuPG and
> experienced problems, what do you think might be the first thing I
> would be advised to do?

Speaking for myself, I would advise you to describe your problem and
what you have tried to resolve it.

Most problems result from user error and/or misconfiguration.  Very few
problems require the user upgrade GnuPG.  In many instances, upgrading
GnuPG is simply not an option (e.g., enterprise users, or installations
that have to exhaustively test all software before it goes on servers).