Gpg4Win 2.0.4 with GnuPG 1.4.11?¿

Jerry gnupg.user at seibercom.net
Fri Nov 19 00:48:49 CET 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:51:44 -0500
Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> articulated:

> On 11/18/2010 5:40 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> > Which version of WinZip?
> >
> > I use WinZip 9.0 SR1
>
> Winzip 15.  9.0 is /way/ old and likely is having problems operating
> with the quite-new Windows 7.  Microsoft made some very substantial
> changes to the way Windows works during the XP-to-Vista transition: I
> suspect that's what's hanging you up.
>
> > But if it is possible for 32 bit applications to integrate into the
> > Windows Explorer on Win7X64, then surely the developers of the
> > GnuPG add-ons like GpgEx and GPGshell should be able to do so as
> > well? Why haven't any such application integration appeared?
>
> Unless you're paying someone money for a software product, odds are
> very good they're developing/maintaining it on their own and they'll
> get around to feature enhancements if and when they can.  People who
> give you the fruit of their labor for free are under no obligation to
> keep on doing it in the future to keep current with changing Windows
> releases.

A quick check would seem to indicate that WinZIP 11.x+ or newer is 64bit
compatible with Windows. Honestly, version 9.x is totally deprecated. I
use version 15 myself and it offers massive improvements, including a
few I requested myself.

Probably if someone wanted to resolve this problem they could spend
some time on the Microsoft TechNet or something similar. It is
probably only a minor tweak that needs to be done. I do have to agree
with Robert though on his assessment of the problem with compatibility.

--
Jerry ✌
GNUPG.user at seibercom.net