Remove a recipient from a message without viewing it

Nicolas Boullis nboullis at debian.org
Mon Nov 22 11:38:23 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 04:31:21AM -0500, Nathan Krasnopoler wrote:
> Is there a way to remove a recipient from a message without having any
> of the private keys needed to view the message?
>
> For example, is message M is encrypted to Sam, John, and Bob as text
> C, I would like to output C_s that is M encrypted only to Sam, C_j
> that is M encrypted only to John, and C_b that is M encrypted only to
> Bob.
>
> If this is possible, I think it would also preserve any signatures on M.
>
> I would prefer to do this in a python interface, but a shell/gpg or a
> C interface is also workable.

For what it's worth, a few months ago, I decided to write a
gpg-edit-recipients tool. I announced it on thi list (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnupg-users@gnupg.org/msg13495.html).

My project is on standby because I haven't seen much interest in this
tool, but if you are really interested, I guess it could be resurrected.

However, for your specific need, you don't even need such a tool, I
think you may split your encrypted message with gpgsplit, and then
concatenate the relevant packets together.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Boullis