Encryption with no recipient

Paul Richard Ramer free10pro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 07:45:26 CEST 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:49:48 -0400, Ted Rolle Jr. wrote:
> I tried -ace and it aways asked for a userid.  -c and -ac worked just
> fine.  Apparently when -e is specified that triggers the request for a
> recipient.

Hi Ted.  "-c" or "--symmetric" encrypts with a symmetric key that is
derived from a passphrase.  No public key is used.  Because of that,
using "gpg -c some_file" will ask for a passphrase, and that passphrase
must be used when you want to decrypt the file.

But when you specify "-e" or "--encrypt", GnuPG will use a public key to
encrypt the file, and a recipient's public key must be specified.  This
means that when you specify both "-c" and "-e", you will get a file that
is encrypted by a symmetric key and a public key.  That is why GnuPG is
asking for a recipient.

-Paul

--
PGP Key ID: 0x3DB6D884
PGP Fingerprint: EBA7 88B3 6D98 2D4A E045  A9F7 C7C6 6ADF 3DB6 D884