gpg-agent ssh authentication sees non-existent key?

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Tue Sep 14 22:34:31 CEST 2010

I'm using gpg-agent instead of ssh-agent on OS X with a smart card.
When I didn't have the card plugged in, it was falling back to the file
~/.ssh/id_rsa, which seemed reasonable, even though I didn't want to use
the old key.

When I moved the file, gpg-agent still seems to see it some how.

It prompts:

Please enter the passphrase for the ssh key
  /Users/grant/.ssh/id_rsa

If I enter the old passphrase, I authenticate.

But the file doesn't exist:

johnmudhead:.ssh grant$ cd ~/.ssh
johnmudhead:.ssh grant$ ls -a
.		id_rsa.old	known_hosts
..		id_rsa.pub.old	known_hosts~
johnmudhead:.ssh grant$

I even rebooted to make sure that gpg-agent wasn't stashing a copy in
memory.  Same behavior.

Did gpg-agent stash a copy of the private key?  How do I delete that copy?

--
Grant

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."