A better way to think about passwords

Hedge Hog hedgehogshiatus at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 01:09:36 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
>> cracking attempts for 2,537 years.
>
> I am giving a great big yuk to his methodology.  There's no reference to the entropy of text, for instance.  His example of a three common word password, "this is fun," amounts to a total of 11 letters: this will be around 22 bits of entropy, or 4 million combinations.  @ 100 attempts per second, that requires 40,000 seconds, or about 11 hours.  He claims it'll take 2,357 years.  Let's just say I'm skeptical.
>
> Also, look at his claims for a six-character "common word."  Okay, so this has at most 10 bits of entropy or so: any more and it wouldn't be common.  10 bits of entropy equals 1000 possibilities, @ 100 per second equals ten seconds to break it -- not the 3 minutes he claims.
>
> His math doesn't work.  I call shenanigans on the entire thing.

Correct. But do you claim the ideas are shenanigans:
a) use several words.
b) choose memorable combinations, to you, of these words.

Example: What do you make the _expected_ secure time _estimate_ of:
a) three four letter words say: muck, ruck, puck?
b) make them memorable: the puck in the ruck in the muck?

Then, for a), what is the estimate if one choose three five letter
words, or three six letter words?

Best wishes.

πόλλ' οἶδ ἀλώπηξ, ἀλλ' ἐχῖνος ἓν μέγα
[The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.]
  Archilochus, Greek poet (c. 680 BC – c. 645 BC)
http://wiki.hedgehogshiatus.com