A better way to think about passwords

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Mon Apr 18 12:04:23 CEST 2011

Hi

On Monday 18 April 2011 00:58:13 Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> His math doesn't work.  I call shenanigans on the entire thing.

I'd like to add a F-ACK to that statement, out of curiosity I tried cracking
"J4fS<2" with CUDA multiforcer and it took less than 15 minutes on a single
GF200 class card (the program tells me that it did about 490 million MD5
hashes per second)...

With that I'd estimate everything below 9 or 10 characters based on a random
combination of these characters should be considered broken or very likely to
be broken:
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~

I'm currently running the "quick brown fox" using a dictionary "attack" (also
salted MD5 based), but that is usually only successful, if the correct
combination rules are being considered...

Just my inflationary €0.023

Cheers

Carsten