Is the OpenPGP model still useful?

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Wed Apr 27 17:09:00 CEST 2011

Some thoughts:

o  Agreed:  OpenPGP is difficult.

o  Media-hopping:  each segment can be treated separately.  The users
   know there is a thread of conversation but the technologies do
   not.  So, is this point relevant?

o  Who is the attacker?  A government with sufficient motivation and
   money should have little trouble getting carriers to inform them of
   who is involved in a given flow in near realtime (say, by forwarding
   the log streams out of their RADIUS servers), and matching that
   to a watch list is trivial.  These are exactly the people who would
   be doing large-scale collection.  A personal rival probably
   couldn't afford it.  (This is directed at the "distinguishment"
   factor.)

   Today the chief difficulty for a state really isn't technical or
   financial, but legal.

o  "Encrypt each communication (Facebook post, SMS, whatever) with a
   random 40-bit key.  Throw the key away.  Send it."  Isn't that what
   we do now?  Or do you mean:  encrypt *everything*; don't ask, just
   make encryption the default for all communication.  I could get
   behind that.  (I've argued for some time that we ought to do away
   with HTTP-not-S, not-S-SMTP, etc. and this just extends the
   argument to another layer.)

o  Agreed:  most people don't care about most of their messaging.

o  Just so long as those who *do* care can plug in or wrap on something
   stronger and more manageable if they wish.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.