Centralizing Private and Public Keys From Multiple Boxes with "-user" Switch

Ted Zatopek tzatopek at orix.com
Fri Apr 29 20:56:49 CEST 2011

Is it possible to have multiple private keys in use on the same keyring?

We have a GPG installation on two different boxes (with one private key in
use on each) and both boxes have reached end of life and need to be
decomissioned.

We use GPG to encrypt files that we put to the seperate customer FTP sites.
They decrypt the files and process them.

We created a different private\public key combination for each box.   Each
box also has a customer specific public key that we've imported into the
keyring.

We are centralizing our FTP transmissions to one new box.

It looks to me that it's possible to have two private keys in use on the
same keyring and that you can specify which key to use when you are
encrypting by using the "-user" switch in your encryption command.

Is that the way it works or am I barking up the wrong tree here?   Maybe I'm
missing something fundamental?

Any advice is appreciated.