signing non default key

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 20:41:42 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:04:40AM -0700, Yard, John wrote:
> Forgive the newbie question:
>
> I want to sign a key , I use
>
> /opt/freeware/gnupg1.4.10/bin/gpg --edit-key Yard2004_UCLA
…
> This issue is , I need to sign this key with another key ,
> How can this be done / what is the syntax for this ?

Use the -u option to specify a key other than the default. This is in
the gpg(1) man page[1]:

    --edit-key name
        Present a menu which enables you to do all key related tasks:
        sign
            Make a signature on key of user name If the key is not yet
            signed by the default user (or the users given with -u), the
            program displays the information of the key again, together
            with its fingerprint and asks whether it should be signed.
            This question is repeated for all users specified with -u.
    …
    -u, --local-user name
        Use name as the user ID to sign. This option is silently ignored
        for the list commands, so that it can be used in an options
        file.

[1]: http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manpage.en.html
simple system that works.—John Gall