How to open Windows GPG encrypted files on Mac OS X

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Sat Apr 30 14:18:29 CEST 2011

insightfulmac wrote the following on 4/29/11 10:17 PM:
> I have been using GPG for Windows for some years. Recently I've bought a
> Mac. I've installed the GPG for Mac OSX,

What gpg (or gpg2) version have you installed?

> but the problem is that I am not
> able to open the old GPG for Windows encrypted files.

Do you mean stand-alone encrypted files, or encrypted e-mails (or both)?

> I have installed the GPGServices, so what I do is: open the Windows
> encrypted files on Mac using the TextWrangler text editor, selecting the
> encrypted text and choosing Services->OpenPGP Decrypt.
>
> However, I always receive the following error: "Decryption failed. No
> decryptable text was found within the selection".

As far as I know, Windows uses line-ends that are different from the
ones used by MacOSX.

When you use TextWrangler to open Windows encrypted files, have you
tried to save them using the option Mac line-ends, and then decrypt them
with MacOSX? I am not referring to the use of GPGServices.

> Does anyone know how can I decrypt Windows-GPG encrypted files on Mac OS X?

Without using GPGServices, have you been able to decrypt MacOSX
encrypted files, or e-mails, or both? Just to check that your MacOSX
installation of gpg or gpg2 is working as it should?

Charly
MacOS 10.6.7-MacBook Intel C2Duo 2GHz-GnuPG 1.4.11-MacGPG 2.0.17
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.17)
Gecko/20110414 Thunderbird/3.1.10 Enigmail 1.2a1pre (20110426-1757)
GPGMail 1.3.3