Implementation question: validating left two of signatures

brian m. carlson sandals at crustytoothpaste.net
Fri Aug 12 21:27:50 CEST 2011

I have a quality-of-implementation question (more in general than
specifically about GnuPG).  I am writing an implementation of OpenPGP
that verifies signatures, among other things.

Signatures contain the left two bytes of the hash as a quick check.
I've noticed that a small number of signatures are in fact valid even
though this quick check does not match the hash.  Is it considered
acceptable to fix up this value if it is wrong?  If not, is it
acceptable to treat two signatures as the same signature if they are
identical but for the left two?  Does GnuPG (or any other
implementation) actually give any credence to the left two whatsoever?

If there's an OpenPGP implementers' list or another, more appropriate
forum, please feel free to point me in that direction.  I couldn't find
one, so I posted here.