Location of GnuPG 1.4.11 Windows binary

Mark Rousell markr-gnupg at signal100.com
Mon Aug 22 04:54:53 CEST 2011

I just thought the following might be helpful for Windows users of GnuPG
1.x.

I had been running 1.4.10 on Windows for some time and I thought it was
time I checked for an upgrade so I visited
http://www.gnupg.org/download/ to see if there was a new version. I
found that 1.4.11 was available but that the binary download links had
disappeared! The only reference to Windows binaries is now via Gpg4win
but that project only provides Windows binaries of 2.x and not 1.x.

Happily however I found that the traditional standalone Windows binary
installer is still in available via FTP. It's simply not linked from the
GnuPG website as far as I can see. Here's the link:
ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/

Thank goodness for that.

If anyone from GnuPG is reading this, please don't stop building (and
providing links to) Windows binaries for GnuPG 1.x. I'm sure I can't be
the only user of it. :-)

I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world for me to learn how to
compile it for Windows but I know that the GnuPG developers will
probably do a better job of it than me. ;-)