Which release should we be using?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Aug 22 16:25:51 CEST 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:27, dpmcgee at gmail.com said:

> extremely shortsighted. Any password management program like Keepass
> makes transfer via the clipboard easy and relatively safe (clearing it
> after 10 seconds), so that doesn't sound like the safety of "no
> passphrase at all".

You may not understand for what the passphrase in GPG is used: It is a
fail-stop mechanism to mitigate the compromise of a secret key.  In that
it is similar to the master passphrases of all these password managers.

Anyway, if you want to enable cut+paste just go ahead and implement it
in a pinentry version (to be exact, disable the the secure text entry
widget).  Please don't ask me to do that: I consider it as false
security.  BTW, pinentry is a separate package from GnuPG and easy to
hack.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner