gpg: invalid item `BZIP2' in preference string

Lance W. Haverkamp lance at thehaverkamps.net
Thu Aug 25 17:22:11 CEST 2011

I compiled both the stock 1.4.11 & the Ubuntu 1.4.10.  Both ways I get
the following error:

$ gpg --gen-key
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.10; Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

gpg: invalid item `BZIP2' in preference string
gpg: invalid default preferences
gpg: invalid item `BZIP2' in preference string
gpg: invalid personal compress preferences

------------------------

I have never seen this with any distro binary, just this source (as I'm
changing from 4096 to 8192 bit)
I know the message is coming from gpg.conf, but that's a very normal
thing to have in gpg.conf.
Any idea what's going on here?

--

Thanks!