Understanding --status-fd output

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Aug 29 14:17:48 CEST 2011

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:29, Mike_Acker at charter.net said:

> from using GPG4WIN I note: a signature may be marked:
>
>     valid|not valid
>     Trusted|not Trusted

It should be "valid".  However gpg4win is collection of different tools
all with a different history.

> "Trust" or "owner trust" refers to whether I trust the owner of a key
> sent to me.  this trust can be

This is a misconception.  You assign an "owner trust" to indicate your
estimation on how faithful someone signs other keys.

> IN ADDITION: you will note that on an x.509 certificate there is a
> second trust flag: for software. This is CRITICAL to the security of
> Authenticode which is used for software updates

It basically says, the malware authors spend a few bugs on buying a
compromised key for the certificate.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner