Migrating to Smartcards

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Tue Aug 30 20:58:38 CEST 2011

On 8/30/11 2:44 PM, Hauke Laging wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 30. August 2011, 17:54:32 schrieb Richard:
>
>> Will that cause any problems in later GnuPG use as the cards' IDs are
>> different?
>
> At least no serious ones. You will probably have to make gpg read the card
> content by --card-status or --card-edit. At worst you would have to "delete"
> the secret key before.

I actually found this to be really annoying in day-to-day use when I
tried to use two cards with the same key.  gpg really wants you to have
one card tied to one set of keys per computer.

If you're only using one on the road, and one at home, I guess that
wouldn't come up though.

--
Grant

"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."