pka-lookups and dnssec

gnupg at lists.grepular.com gnupg at lists.grepular.com
Mon Dec 5 13:26:16 CET 2011

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of "--verify-options pka-lookups" ?
I have successfully used "--auto-key-locate pka" when encrypting
messages, but I can't see how to use "pka-lookups".

I assumed it would automatically lookup/download the key in order to do
verification, but if you don't have the key already, it doesn't know the
UID associated with the key used to sign and therefore can't do the PKA
lookup... Is there some additional command line option that I should be
using to specify the email address from the UID when verifying this way?
Or have I completely misunderstood something?

Also. Would it be useful to add a feature to GnuPG so it displays the
fact that a PKA record it retrieved was DNSSEC signed, when true? Just
for informational purposes. It strikes me as useful information to have...

Here is my DNSSEC signed PKA record that I've been experimenting with:

mike at server:~$ dig +short txt mike.cardwell._pka.grepular.com
"v=pka1\;fpr=35BCAF1D3AA21F843DC3B0CF70A5F5120018461F\;uri=http://grepular.com/0018461F.pub.asc"
mike at server:~$

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/  https://twitter.com/mickeyc