--trusted-key

John A. Wallace jw72253 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 28 03:08:15 CET 2011

--trusted-key long key ID

Assume that the specified key (which must be given as a full 8 byte key ID)
is as trustworthy as one of your own secret keys. This option is useful if
you don't want to keep your secret keys (or one of them) online but still
want to be able to check the validity of a given recipient's or signator's
key.

I read this definition online, but I can't seem to get a grasp on what it is
used for.  As it sounds as though it may have use for something I want to
do, I was hoping someone could elaborate a bit on this.  It may be clear as
glass to most of you, but I am not seeing it (sorry).  Thanks.