Add/remove recipient without re-encrypting

Alphazo alphazo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 15:38:12 CET 2011

Is it possible to add or remove a recipient to an already encrypted file and
thus without re-encrypting the whole file?

>From what I understand GnuPG encrypts the payload (my binary file) with a
symmetric session key. Then it stores each recipient key ID (optional) as
well as an encrypted version of the session key using the public key of the
recipient (asymmetric encryption).
Assuming I own the private key of one the original recipient, could GnuPG
decrypt the session key and add/remove new recipients to the existing file?

Thanks
Alphazo