moving user ID Comments to --expert mode

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Feb 3 22:07:40 CET 2011

On 2/3/11 3:59 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>  * most people just need a simple identity-driven OpenPGP certificate,
> one that matches their name and e-mail address.

Whenever people talk about what "most users" need, I have to ask to see
the user survey that's showing this.  History has shown that technically
sophisticated users' ideas of what "real users" need tends to not
correlate very tightly with what "real users" say they need.

> If moving the Comment: prompt to --expert seems to radical, a more
> conservative proposal would be to change the prompt from:
>
>  Comment:
>
> to:
>
>  Comment (leave blank unless you are sure you need this and know what
> you are doing):
>
> or:
>
>  Comment (most people should leave this blank):

Terse is beautiful.  I think something like

Comment (optional):

... would suffice, and would be a modest improvement on the current prompt.