moving user ID Comments to --expert mode

Jerry gnupg.user at seibercom.net
Thu Feb 3 23:36:16 CET 2011

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:30:00 -0500
Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> articulated:

> On 02/03/2011 04:07 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> > On 2/3/11 3:59 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> >>  * most people just need a simple identity-driven OpenPGP
> >> certificate, one that matches their name and e-mail address.
> >
> > Whenever people talk about what "most users" need, I have to ask to
> > see the user survey that's showing this.  History has shown that
> > technically sophisticated users' ideas of what "real users" need
> > tends to not correlate very tightly with what "real users" say they
> > need.
>
> my "user survey" is from several years of trying to personally help
> dozens of people of all skill levels learn how to use OpenPGP for
> secure messaging.  Regardless of the intelligence or technical savvy
> of the people i've personally helped get more comfortable with
> OpenPGP, i believe all of them have been baffled by the Comment:
> prompt.

Statistically speaking, a few dozen users is not very meaningful.
Furthermore, did you have a test group to compare these results
against? In addition, did any one who claimed to be knowledgeable with
the concepts of PGP ask you for assistance? Probably not which causes
your statistical analyses to be in error. It reminds me of the famous
Coke a Cola debacle in the 80's. Their analysis was so flawed that
they eventually fired everyone involved in the fiasco, not to mention
the fact that they lost millions of dollars.

In any case, statistics can be made to represent anything you
want them to. If 5% of a group suffers from constipation does that mean
the remaining 95% enjoys it?

--
Jerry ✌
GNUPG.user at seibercom.net

Q:	What is the difference between Texas and yogurt?