moving user ID Comments to --expert mode

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Feb 3 23:47:02 CET 2011

On 02/03/2011 05:22 PM, Jameson Rollins wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:10:58 -0500, "Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
>> Zero.  Comments don't get certified.  All my signature means is I have
>> met this person face to face, have seen two forms of government
>> identification, have confirmed a fingerprint and exchanged an email at
>> that address.  There's nothing in my signature policy that addresses
>> comments, nothing at all.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this comment.  Certifications are over user
> IDs.  The comments are in the user IDs.  By certifying the full user ID
> you are also certifying the comment.

Just to clarify this point:

If i meet Robert in person, show him my gov't IDs, my fingerprint, and
we exchange e-mails, Robert would probably be fine certifying this User ID:

 Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net>

But i suspect he would not want to certify this User ID:

 Daniel Kahn Gillmor (I am really Robert Hansen) <dkg at fifthhorseman.net>

And he would be right to do avoid certifying it.

	--dkg