moving user ID Comments to --expert mode

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Feb 4 02:23:20 CET 2011

On 2/3/11 8:17 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> So, you're saying that hams are not smart enough to figure out how to
> use expert mode if they really want this functionality? :)

You're moving the goalposts.  That was responding to someone who denied
the usefulness of comments at all.  If I'm establishing there are
communities who use comments, and these communities often exist under
the radar of list members, then it's disingenuous to say "but they can
just use expert mode."

Whether it should be in normal mode or expert mode is a completely
different question from whether there exist a significant number of
users who find the comment field useful.

As long as we're moving things into expert mode, I'd like to see all
non-default options moved into expert mode, including key lengths.  I've
never seen anyone outside of the intelligence community who had a need
for a 4096-bit key: why do we support generating them?  I've seen people
screw up expiration dates more often than I've seen them use expiration
dates as part of a sane, rational security policy: why is this option
part of the default, why isn't setting an expiration date reserved for
expert users?  Etc., etc.

If you open up the "well, I think it ought to be in expert mode," there
are a lot of other things that ought to be moved over there first.