RFC 2015 / RFC 3156 (PGP/MIME) support

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Feb 7 14:56:49 CET 2011

On Mon,  7 Feb 2011 13:11, gnupg.user at seibercom.net said:
> Can anyone tell me definitively if Microsoft Outlook, Exchange or Live
> Mail support RFC 2015 and preferably it's successor RFC 3156? Obviously,

Outlook does not support it at all.  I wrote a plugin, GpgOL, which
brings rfc3156 support to Outlook.  However it is a very fragile
implementation because it uses unspecified behaviour of Outlook 2003 and
2007.  I had to implement my own MIME parser and builder on top of
Outlook and make sure that certain headers are sent exactly as Outlook
would have done it when sending S/MIME.  It does not work with OL 2010
anymore because they dropped the Extended MAPI interface.  It works
usually does not work with an Exchange account.

BTW, there is no really difference between 2015 and 3156.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner