moving user ID Comments to --expert mode

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Feb 7 18:33:24 CET 2011

On 02/07/2011 03:07 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> In OpenPGP parlance the term "key" is used as a synonym for the term
> "keyblock" which in turn is the OpenPGP saying for a "certificate".

While i think this terminology is unfortunate (how do we refer to the
key without any additional metadata attached?), i agree with you that
the use you describe is widespread.

The term "OpenPGP Certificate" seems significantly less ambiguous than
"OpenPGP Key" to me, which is why i try to use that term instead, but i
concede that the common usage intends to conflate the two concepts.

Anyway, the User ID still identifies the keyholder, not the "key" in
either sense of the term.

The analogous data in an X.509 certificate, the Subject field (or
SubjectAltName extensions), does not identify the certificate itself --
it identifies the subject of the certificate.

	--dkg