how to store the public keys in a db?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Feb 14 09:58:30 CET 2011

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 13:34, ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com said:

> don't think that it will result into a bottleneck before reaching
> 10^6-10^12 keys (I didn't prove this statement!).

This won't work.  We do a sequential scans of the pubring.gpg all the
time.  This includes the computation of fingerprints etc for each and
every key.  It is more a miracle that it still works fine with many
thousand keys.

One upon a time we had support for gdbm backend;that was dropped due to
several architectural problems.

The current plan is to use the keybox format which we are using for
gpgsm.  It allows to store meta information and will make key lookups
much faster.  With this you should be able to handle a few million
keys.

Adding another backend is not very complicated, all access to the
keyrings is routed trough the keydb.c module which has provisions to
register several backends.  Adding an RDBMS backend is thus possible.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner